Matchday three of the Champions League brings a handful of must-see games to US TV. Teams are looking to position themselves strongly for the second half of the Group Stage.
As such, this week could see some absolutely classic matches played, and you will be able to follow them in the US.
Graham Potter has work to do to get Chelsea’s continental campaign back on track. Meanwhile, Liverpool will be hoping Joel Matip’s late winner against Ajax will have given their Champions League hopes fresh life.
Entering matchday three, it is a turning point for the remainder of the campaign. In each of these games, the reverse fixture is in just one week’s time. The value of finishing in the top two is beyond compare.
With all of the games in the UEFA Champions League airing on Paramount+, here are five games to keep a special eye on in matchday three.
Watch Champions League
Includes: UEFA Champions League, Serie A & More
|7-Day Free Trial|
The best Champions League games of matchday three
1. Marseille vs Sporting CP – Group D (Tuesday, Oct. 4 – 12:45 p.m. ET / 9:45 a.m. PT)
Marseille’s meeting with Sporting on Tuesday is the perfect early kick-off to set the tone for Matchday 3 of the Champions League. If you are looking for a match with two well coached and entertaining teams, then this is perfect.
Marseille have an element of chaos about their play, albeit that hasn’t helped them in the Champions League. The French giants are winless and without a goal in their opening two matches. On the other hand, Sporting have won both games without conceding a goal.
Sporting manager Ruben Amorim is expected to be Wolves’ favored choice to replace Bruno Lage. This could be his final game in charge at Sporting. He looks to showcase his best attacking game in his potential sendoff.
2. Inter vs Barcelona – Group C (Tuesday, Oct. 4 – 3 p.m. ET/ noon PT)
This is a clash of giants in the European game, both exhibiting success on the biggest stage in success-laden histories. Inter and Barcelona will be looking to take a decisive step to securing second place in Group C.
Bayern Munich already look insurmountable in first, especially with back-to-back games against Viktoria Plzen.
Inter’s poor domestic form has left Simone Inzaghi in danger of losing his job. Barcelona will need to take advantage of this. The Blaugrana have been impressive domestically and are all but a certainty to score goals at the San Siro.
3. Ajax vs Napoli – Group A (Tuesday, Oct. 4 – 3 p.m. ET/ noon PT)
If you enjoy entertaining football then Tuesday’s meeting between Ajax and Napoli is the game for you. The two teams are the leading scorers in Group A and there will be no shortage of excitement in this match.
Napoli could move to within touching distance of qualification with a victory away in the Netherlands.
4. Chelsea vs AC Milan – Group E (Wednesday, Oct. 5 – 3 p.m. ET/ noon PT)
90+2: Empoli 1-1 Milan
90+4: Empoli 1-2 Milan
90+6: Empoli 1-3 Milan
RAFAEL LEÂO ADDS THE THIRD IN STYLE! 💥 pic.twitter.com/oTEw4IyuRe
— CBS Sports Golazo ⚽️ (@CBSSportsGolazo) October 1, 2022
Worryingly, those poor results came against the two weaker teams in Group E.
Italian champions AC Milan now await Graham Potter’s team, who struggled past Crystal Palace on Saturday.
The Rossoneri are having no such problems back home. Stefano Pioli’s team are in fine form with Rafael Leao scoring for fun.
5. Sevilla vs Borussia Dortmund – Group G (Wednesday, Oct. 5 – 3 p.m. ET/ noon PT)
Anything other than a victory for Sevilla will virtually end their Champions League campaign for the 2022/23 season. The Spanish team are having serious issues blending a new group of players. Domestic results have been below-par, and Julen Lopetegui is on the verge of dismissal ahead of Wednesday’s match.
PHOTO: IMAGO / ActionPictures
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find QPR vs. Reading on US TV
- Where to find England vs. USWNT on US TV
- Where to find Arsenal vs. FK Bodø/Glimt on US TV
- Where to find Omonia Nicosia vs. Man United on US TV
- Where to find Anderlecht vs. West Ham on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Copenhagen on US TV
- Where to find Benfica vs. PSG on US TV
- Where to find Real Madrid vs. Shakhtar on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Milan on US TV
- Where to find Leipzig vs. Celtic on US TV