After collecting four points in the club’s first three matches, Nottingham Forest tumbled. East Midlands rivals Leicester City provided Forest its fifth-consecutive Premier League loss. Worse off, it was a demolition. Forest limped out of the King Power Stadium as 4-0 losers.
Previously, Steve Cooper earned praise for his work in returning Forest to the Premier League. The side won the promotion playoffs last season. After 23 years, Forest finally returned to the top flight of English soccer. However, things failed to go the club’s way. Now, Nottingham Forest sits bottom of the Premier League table with the worst goal differential in the league at -15.
Forest allowed a whopping 21 goals in just eight league matches so far this season. Current champions Manchester City previously put six on the scoreboard when the two teams faced off in August. Along with these lopsided losses, Forest is also losing to their closest competitors to remain in the league.
Steve Cooper talking to Sky Sports:
“We’re bottom of the league, but I’m not thinking about my own situation at the minute.
“I’m only thinking about how I can be at my best everyday, and getting the best out of these players.
— Ethan Lamb (@ethanlamb01) October 3, 2022
Bournemouth and Fulham already picked up big wins against Forest so far. All three clubs were promoted from the Championship to the Premier League prior to the 2022/23 campaign. Not only has Forest dropped points in these games, but they also had leads and eventually allowed three goals in both of the six-pointers.
Rafa Benitez to Nottingham Forest?
If Cooper cannot right the ship, Rafa Benitez could soon be appointed new Nottingham Forest head coach. The Spaniard has previously managed 13 senior clubs around Europe. This includes spells at Liverpool, Inter Milan, Chelsea, Napoli, Real Madrid, and Newcastle. His time with the Magpies is especially significant considering he helped them avoid relegation in 2018.
Sacking Cooper was previously unheard of considering his navigation of Forest to the Premier League. Nevertheless, the club is sputtering after spending over $170 million on a record 23 summer signings. Benitez obviously has incredible experience as a head coach and could help stabilize the team.
Along with Benitez, former Burnley boss Sean Dyche could also be an option for Forest.
PHOTO: IMAGO / PA Images
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find QPR vs. Reading on US TV
- Where to find England vs. USWNT on US TV
- Where to find Arsenal vs. FK Bodø/Glimt on US TV
- Where to find Omonia Nicosia vs. Man United on US TV
- Where to find Anderlecht vs. West Ham on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Copenhagen on US TV
- Where to find Benfica vs. PSG on US TV
- Where to find Real Madrid vs. Shakhtar on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Milan on US TV
- Where to find Leipzig vs. Celtic on US TV